Two Oneida football players received all-state honors in the Tennessee Sportswriters Association's Class 2A team announced late Monday.
Senior defensive back Cole West and junior placekicker Bryce Couch each received all-state honors, and were the only players from District 4-A to be named to the TSWA's all-state team for Class 2A.
Couch, a second-year starter at kicker, emerged as one of Class 2A's most reliable field goal kickers in 2013. After bursting onto the scene with a critical 47-yard field goal in a win over Williamsburg in 2012, and following that up with another 47-yard boot during a spring game at Sweetwater in 2013, Couch made 10 of 12 field goal attempts last season. His long was from 40 yards. Five of his kicks were between 30 and 40 yards. Couch was 46 of 52 on extra point attempts.
As a fourth-year starter on defense, West finished the 2013 season with 56 tackles and five interceptions, in addition to his standout performances on offense and special teams.
West had already been named the District 4-A co-player of the year, while Couch was named District 4-A's offensive special teams player of the year in balloting by the district's coaches.
Other players from District 4-A to be named to the all-state team, all in Class 1A, included:
• Coalfield: Zach Stewart (OL), Benson Napier (OL), Ryan Hill (LB), Zach Wilkins (DB) and Andrew Clore (DB).
• Oakdale: Aaron Powers (DB).
• Sunbright: Jacob Swint (DB).
The Class 2A coach of the year was Trousdale County's Kevin Creasy.
Players from District 4-AA to be named to the all-state team included:
• Alcoa: Jaquez Tyson (RB), Malik Love (ATH), Kyle Malik Mitchell (OL), Braylon Young (DL), Zac Wright (DL), Jonathan Decker (DL), Keller Maples (LB), Brandon Teeter (DB) and John Riley McLaughlin (DB).
• CAK: Whitaker Cunningham (WR).
• Knox Catholic: Logan Irwin (OL), Wyatt Price (K), Josh Silvey (DL), David Hamilton (LB), Will Martinez (DB).
The Class 3A coach of the year was Alcoa's Gary Rankin. In Class 4A, the coach of the year was Fulton's Rob Black.